The Irish of South Brisbane Cemetery
Our next ‘Irish of South Brisbane Cemetery’ tour:
Join us for a special tour after St Patrick’s Day as we visit the graves of some of the many Irish people laid to rest within this beautiful and historical cemetery. Hear the stories of murderers, community leaders, poor farmers, ships captains, 19th-century sectarianism, and Catholic superstitions and symbolism. Your friendly guides are cemetery historians Tracey Olivieri and Chris Dawson.
You are welcome to stay a while after the tour for coffee, tea, biscuits and a chat.
- The tour will take about 1.5 hours and is suitable for ages 12 years and up.
- Entry cost is gold coin and up donation. This is a not-for-profit tour and the revenue helps to fund our award-winning cemetery maintenance and history projects, so all donations are gratefully accepted.
- The tour begins at the main gates off Annerley Road.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time so we can all begin on time.
- Parking is available inside the cemetery.
- Please wear a hat and enclosed shoes, and also insect repellent if desired.
- Access to toilets can be provided during the tour.
- Walking difficulty is medium. Please be aware that this tour does involve walking (slowly) up the hill in the cemetery. Please advise us of any relevant medical concerns prior to attending the tour.
Private and Easy Access Tours
We can organise a Private Tour just for your own group of friends. We also run Easy Access tours for groups with mobility issues. You can select any available tour type you want. Minimum cost is $150 for up to 15 people (extra people $10 per person).
All our tours are not-for-profit and run by the Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery (Inc.) in a community partnership with the Boggo Road Gaol Historical Society (Inc.), and are conducted under license from the Brisbane City Council.
Please contact email@example.com with your queries.
This is a not-for-profit ‘Real History’ event that respects historical accuracy and cemetery values.