The History of Ipswich General Cemetery
Our next ‘The History of Ipswich General Cemetery’ tour:
On this guided history tour you will hear stories of Ipswich’s past and learn about some of the beautiful grave monuments and symbolism in one of Queensland’s oldest cemeteries. Your knowledgeable and friendly guides are cemetery historians Tracey Olivieri and Chris Dawson, authors of In Heavenly Garb: The Headstones of Ipswich General Cemetery and former employees on the ‘Ipswich Historic Cemeteries Project’. They will be happy to chat with you during the tour and answer your questions.
- The tour will take about 1.5 hours and is suitable for ages 12 years and up.
- Entry cost is gold coin and up donation. This is a not-for-profit tour and the revenue helps to fund our award-winning cemetery maintenance and history projects, so all donations are gratefully accepted.
- The tour begins at the main gates off Warwick Road. Meet at the shelter shed there.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time so we can all begin on time.
- Parking is available inside the cemetery.
- Please wear a hat and enclosed shoes, and also insect repellent if desired.
- Walking difficulty is easy as this tour covers mainly flat ground. Please advise us of any relevant medical concerns prior to attending the tour.
This is a not-for-profit ‘Real History’ event that respects historical accuracy and cemetery values.