'Hangman's Walk': Toowong Cemetery
Next tour available for bookings
Places available. Book early – there is a maximum of 20 places per tour.
The Hangman’s Walk Toowong Cemetery tour is a special experience because you will explore a large, beautiful, heritage-listed cemetery under the stars and the trees and discover some Real History.
You will visit the graves of various people associated with the history of executions in Queensland, including the hangman and all the people he hanged, and hear the fascinating backstory to capital punishment. Find out how hangings were carried out, how they changed over time, and why Queensland became the first part of the British Empire to stop them.
This is a great way to safely see the cemetery at night. Your friendly guides are award-winning cemeterians Chris Dawson and Tracey Olivieri, who will be more than happy to chat with you and answer your questions during the tour. Chris is also one of Queensland’s leading capital punishment historians.
- Single bookings: $20/$15 concession
- FOSBC members: $10
- Group bookings (four or more people): $15 per person
- Tour gift vouchers make a great gift and can be purchased here.
All our tours are not-for-profit and the money raised goes to our cemetery history and maintenance projects.
- Duration of the tour is 2 – 2½ hours (tour times can vary depending on levels of customer interaction during the tour).
- The Hangman’s Walk Toowong Cemetery tour is suitable for ages 12 years and up. It contains themes of murder and execution, and graphic imagery.
- Groups are limited to about 15 people per tour. This is a comfortable size allowing you easier movement, hearing, viewing, and opportunities to chat with the guides or ask questions.
- Walking difficulty is medium. Please be aware that this tour does involve walking (slowly) up the big hill in the cemetery. Please advise us of any relevant medical concerns prior to attending the tour.
Private and Easy Access Tours
We can organise a Private Tour just for your own group of friends. We also run Easy Access tours for groups with mobility issues. You can select any available tour type you want. Minimum cost is $225 for up to 15 people (extra people $15 per person).
All our tours are not-for-profit and run by the Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery (Inc.) in a community partnership with the Boggo Road Gaol Historical Society (Inc.), and are conducted under license from the Brisbane City Council. All profits go towards our cemetery heritage projects and FOSBC community activities.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your queries.
WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this tour may contain names and images of people who have passed away.
The Hangman’s Walk Toowong Cemetery tour is part of our ‘Queensland Cemetery History Tours’ range. This is a not-for-profit Real History tour that respects historical accuracy and cemetery values.