A Grave History of Dutton Park
Our next ‘A Grave History of Dutton Park’ tour:
Dutton Park has (quite surprisingly) one of the richest histories of any Brisbane suburb. It has been home to a cemetery, shanty town, thriving suburban resort, prisons, a bakery hub, trains and trams and ferries, and all sorts of government reserves and institutions. This tour explores that history by visiting the graves of old time residents, telling the story of the suburb through their lives. We encourage living local residents to join us for what should be a lovely morning, and discover the history of the streets where you live.
Your friendly guides are cemetery historians Tracey Olivieri and Chris Dawson.
You are welcome to stay a while after the tour for coffee, tea, biscuits and a chat.
- The tour will take about 1.5 hours and is suitable for ages 12 years and up.
- Entry cost is gold coin and up donation. This is a not-for-profit tour and the revenue helps to fund our award-winning cemetery maintenance and history projects, so all donations are gratefully accepted.
- The tour begins at the main gates off Annerley Road.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time so we can all begin on time.
- Parking is available inside the cemetery.
- Please wear a hat and enclosed shoes, and also insect repellent if desired.
- Access to toilets can be provided during the tour.
- Walking difficulty is medium. Please be aware that this tour does involve walking (slowly) up the hill in the cemetery. Please advise us of any relevant medical concerns prior to attending the tour.
Private and Easy Access Tours
We can organise a Private Tour just for your own group of friends. We also run Easy Access tours for groups with mobility issues. You can select any available tour type you want. Minimum cost is $150 for up to 15 people (extra people $10 per person).
All our tours are not-for-profit and run by the Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery (Inc.) in a community partnership with the Boggo Road Gaol Historical Society (Inc.), and are conducted under license from the Brisbane City Council.
Please contact email@example.com with your queries.
This is a not-for-profit ‘Real History’ event that respects historical accuracy and cemetery values.