GEE, Mary (1869-1908) died in her cell at Boggo Road Gaol in January 1908. She had been admitted two days earlier for drunkenness, and had entered prison looking unwell. Her death was caused by cirrhosis of the liver and kidney and heart failure. She was married but her estranged husband lived in NSW.

GAUJARD Family: In 1853, Emile Gaujard migrated from Orleans in France to the goldfields of Victoria where he ran a variety of businesses. He married Sarah Curtis and they had a daughter Helene in 1857. The family moved to Brisbane in 1864 and Emile established a tobacconist business. For some time he was in a partnership with James Elson in a combined tobacconist and hairdressing business called “The Divan”. He had an early setback when his Queen Street premises were destroyed in the great fire of 1864 but he was soon back in business. The shop was located at number 58, near the corner of George Street. Emile’s wife Sarah passed away in 1879, leaving him with his 22 year old daughter Helene as his only family. In 1884, Helene married George Bruce-Nicol who she had met when they were neighbours living in Grey Street, South Brisbane. Emile, Sarah and Helene share a grave with members of the Bruce- Nicol family.

GILLIES, 2nd Lieutenant David Martin (1880-1915) was the youngest son of Thomas (1840-1903) and Helen Gillies (1837-1922) of Ruth Street, South Brisbane, and he attended Dutton Park State School. In the 1900s he was ‘an interstate footballer of note’ and represented Queensland in Rugby Union many times.

David served in World War I and was shot in the shoulder while leading his platoon in the unsuccessful push to take the summit of Sari Bair, Gallipoli, on 8 August 1915. He was one of five men missing after the charge, as described in an official report:

‘The Turks, who were entrenched on the slopes of Sari Bair, were driven out of their first lines, but brought up their reserves, and as the Australians had no reserves, they were driven back. They retired to a gully between their trenches at Hill 971 and the Turkish trenches, and ultimately had to leave this gully on account of the machine gun fire. The above all fell in this charge. They lay on the ground swept by heavy fire, over which the Australians retired. If not prisoners, they must certainly be dead.

On the day of his death, and quite by chance, the Brisbane Courier printed a letter in which he informed his brother of his promotion after being wounded and spending a month in hospital:

‘It is nearly three weeks since I arrived back here, and things have been fairly quiet. I have been acting corporal since I came back, and this morning Colonel Cannan sent for me and told me I had been promoted to the rank of Second Lieutenant. It came as a bit of a surprise. I only hope I will be able to carry on successfully, if I don’t it will not be for want of trying. I missed all my letters when I was away wounded, and I don’t expect to see them now… My own wound has hardly left a mark, and I can tell you I am A1. Thanks for your soldierly advice, and you can rest assured we will do all our best for Australia and the Empire – the rest we must leave in God’s hands.’

David has no known grave, but is commemorated by a memorial in the South Brisbane Cemetery and also on the Lone Pine Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey.

The GRIMES familyearly residents of the Fairfield area (PDF article).

GRIMES, Annie Clarissa (1863-1936), daughter of Samuel Grimes. (Obituary)

GRIMES, Marjorie (1896-1956) (left), grand-daughter of William, was the first Girl Guide leader in Queensland, starting the ‘Tarragindi Girl Scouts’ group in 1915, and in 1919 she was appointed as the first State Secretary of the Girl Guides in Queensland.

GRINDLE, Robert (d. 1936), Rocklea pioneer. (Obituary)