BALL, William Nicholas Gidley (1849-1921) was from Cornwall in the UK and originally emigrated to New Zealand, but came to Australia where he became involved in the meat industry and eventually became the State Manager for Swifts Meat Processors. He managed the Eagle Farm Abattoirs and then the Brisbane Abattoirs. Eagle Farm Abattoirs was built by his relatives G.C. and Richard Willcocks. William died 9 September 1921. (Thanks to William’s great-great-grandson Peter Ball for this information.)
BARNES, George Powell (1856–1949) businessman and politician (web article)
BARNES, Walter Henry (1858–1933) businessman and politician (web article)
BAYNES, Harry (1858–1920) butcher and meat exporter (web article)
BLAKENEY, Charles William (1802-76) judge and politician (web article)
BLAKENEY, William Theophilus (1832-98) and family, under-sheriff, Registrar-General (web article)
BOURNE, Eleanor Elizabeth (1878–1957) medical practitioner (web article)
BRENNAN, Thomas Vincent (1889-1920), policeman and WW1 veteran (web article)
BROWN, Selina (1873-90). For many years there has been talk of a ghost that haunts the Plough Inn at South Brisbane. It has been claimed that the ghost that haunts the cellar is that of Selina Brown, a young girl of about 8 years of age who had apparently drowned while playing in the cellar during the flood of 1890. This, however, was not the case. Selina and a man named Morgan were swimming in the yard at the back of the Plough Inn. Her body was recovered and taken to a house in Ernest Street where resuscitation attempts failed. Varying eyewitness reports made way to some confusion whether Morgan had anything to do with her drowning. A subsequent Magisterial Hearing began on 21 April 1890 and concluded on 30 April 1890 – by reports in the Brisbane Courier it appeared that Morgan had been cleared of any wrong doing. Selina was also 16 years old. The ‘ghost story’ itself has also been debunked as urban myth.
BROWN, Gregory Thomas (1938-47) was among the 16 people killed when a Labour Day picnic train, carrying about 500 passengers, crashed near Camp Mountain in May 1947. A further 38 people were injured. It remains Queensland’s worst rail disaster.
The train had been chartered by the Customs and Excise Social Club and was heading to a picnic ground at Closeburn when it came off the rails while travelling too fast on a curve in the track. The youngest victim was nine-year old Gregory Brown, of Annerley. He was buried at South Brisbane Cemetery. Just six months later the neighbouring grave was used for his father John Gervace Brown (1912-47). John was born in Toowoomba and served in World War II.
The couple had two sons and 3 daughters between 1884 and 1891. Sadly the last daughter, Essie Evelyn, died in her first year. In 1886 George, in partnership with a brewer called Charles Lanfear, established the West End Brewery. Despite its name, the brewery was located in South Brisbane in Montague Road between Merivale and Cordelia Streets. The imposing building was a prominent landmark for many years. George Bruce-Nicol remained as chairman and managing director of the brewery right through until 1914 at which time it seems to have ceased trading. Bruce-Nicol died a few years later in 1917.
After George’s death in 1917, Helene, along with her daughters Corinne and Stella, moved to New Farm. She sold the Franklin Street house ‘Marly’ to the Anglican Church who used it as a maternity hospital. It was called the Sumner Hospital in honour of the founder of the Mothers Union, Mary Sumner. The Church eventually sold the property in 1938, subdividing the land in the process. Helene was well known in Brisbane as a philanthropist. During the First World War, she and her daughters were heavily involved with the Red Cross and established a French Red Cross fund. Stella was later awarded a 1914-1919 Gold Cross and Medaille de Reconnaissance Francaise by the French Government.
Stella never married and lived with her mother Helene until the latter’s death in 1929. Stella took up similar philanthropic interests as her mother and jointly they were strong supporters of St. Martin’s Hospital, St Margaret’s School and the Mission to Seamen. Stella also had a career as a journalist. She was on the editorial staff of the “Queenslander” magazine in charge of the women’s and children’s departments. Amongst other work, she wrote a women’s column called “Fileuse”. As “Aunt Fileuse”, she ran a very popular children’s pen friend column. Stella died in 1930 at just 42 years of age in St. Martin’s Hospital, which she had done much to bring into existence through her fund raising work. A memorial altar piece was installed in the Seamen’s Chapel, then located at Petrie Bight. George, Helene, Stella and Essie share a grave with Emile and Sarah Gaujard, Helene’s parents.
BYRNE, Condon Bryan (1910–93) public servant, barrister, and politician (web article)