Cemetery Residents - M
MacINTOSH, Hugh (1958-1932) (left). From the Brisbane Courier, July 1932: ‘Mr. Hugh Macintosh, a former well known officer of the Lands Department, and a prominent sportsman, collapsed in the street near his home in Dornoch Terrace, South Brisbane, yesterday morning, and died immediately. His death will come as a great shock to his many friends, for he appeared to be in perfect health, and kept in the best condition by taking long walks every morning. It was whilst returning from one of these that he was seen to fall to the footpath. and when a doctor friend ran to his assistance he was beyond aid. The late Mr. Macintosh, who was 74 years of age, was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, and came to Queensland with his family in 1865.
He was educated at the South Brisbane State School, and at the Brisbane Boys’ Grammar School, where he was a silver medallist, and entered the State Survey office in 1874. Later he succeeded Mr. R.H. Lawson as chief draftsman, and held that position until his retirement in 1922. His work as draftsman made him an authority on place names and records, and even after he had retired it was customary for him to deal with numerous inquiries regarding the records of history of localities all over the State. He was a member of the committee of the Queensland Place Names; whilst the Historical Society also claimed his attention. Up to the time of his death he was a keen member of the Royal Queensland Yacht Club and a participant in its sailing events. Early in his career he won many trophies with the Lassie, and in later years his ensign was carried on the Nara, which won more than a hundred races for him. Only last week he was present at a meeting of the R.Q.Y.C., and received a replica of the Forrest Cup from the hands of the Governor (Sir Leslie Orme Wilson). There are dozens of sailing trophies in his historical home in Dornoch Terrace. The late Mr. Macintosh gained fame also as a Rugby Union footballer, having been a member of the first Queensland team that visited New South Wales in 1882. The eight surviving members of that team gathered together recently, and a reunion was arranged for the anniversary of the match in August. In his youth the deceased gentleman was a keen rowing enthusiast, and as a member of the Brisbane Rowing Club was actively interested in the sport until late in life. He was closely identified with the early history of Southport, and an island In the Nerang River is called Macintosh Island.
The late Mr. Macintosh is survived by a sister, Miss C. M. Macintosh, and a brother, Mr. T. V. Macintosh, with whom he lived. The funeral will leave his late residence at 3 p.m. to-day for the South Brisbane Cemetery.
MADDEN, ‘Nora’ (1858-1938) was born Ann Ford in 1858 at Warrowrie Station, Binalong, NSW, but she always preferred to be called Nora. She married William Madden in 1873 and had seven children with him, but he deserted her and the family in 1896. By 1900 she was operating a carrying business using horse-drawn carts between Cunnamulla and the border. This involved transporting items such as furniture to remote stations and towns. She also worked on occasion as a mid-wife.
Nora and her family were reported to have been on friendly terms with local Aborigines and she often ate with them. Nora eventually moved to Toowoomba and later to Brisbane where she lived with a married daughter in Spring Hill until her death in 1938.
MARKS, William (1844-1929). From the Brisbane Courier, March 1929: ‘Mr. William Marks, one of the earliest squatters of the Logan district, passed away on February 13 at the residence of his eldest daughter, Mrs. Hughes, Ipswich-road. The late Mr. Marks was born at South Brisbane 85 years ago, and was remembered by all who knew him to be the possessor of a benevolent and sympathetic nature. He was noted for his fine horsemanship and was a keen judge of stock. He married Miss Naomi Norris, of Munruben station, who predeceased him 4½ years ago, After his wife’s death he resided with his daughter, Mrs. Allen, of Rocklea. The late Mr. Marks is survived by five sons – Messrs. A., J., P., G., and A.N. Marks; and five daughters – Mesdames Hughes, Allen, Pratten, Benson, and Black; 19 grandchildren, and seven great-grand-children. The funeral took place to the family grave in the South Brisbane Cemetery. The Rev. H.T. Molesworth conducted the service at the graveside.’
MARQUIS, Daniel (1829-79), photographer (PDF article)
MARTIN, Ann Jane, née Hill (1836-1903) (PDF article)
MAYNE, William Walter (d.1928). Read W Mayne’s obituary here.
McKEE, Marjorie (-1929) was the two-year-old daughter of a Mt Gravatt couple. She wandered from her home on a Thursday, and despite desperate searches her drowned body was not found until the following Tuesday, lodged in a tree on Bulimba Creek at Belmont, about two miles from her home. She had apparently tripped and fallen into the water. The following account of her funeral appeared in the Evening News:
‘Poignant scenes were witnessed at the home of the child; Marjorie McKee, at Mount Gravatt today, when the funeral left for the South Brisbane Cemetery. Friends and relatives and many who had assisted in the search followed the hearse bearing the small white coffin, which was completely hidden under a heap of flowers. A huge wreath was sent by fellow workers of the child’s father, who was employed as foreman at the Broadwater Sand Company, Mount Gravatt. A short service was hold by the Rev. S. Roberts of the Broadway Congregational Church, who conveyed the sympathy of the Congregational Union of Australia and New Zealand.’
MESTON, Archibald (1851-1924), politician (webpage)
MOWBRAY, Thomas (1812-67), priest, and Williamina (1818-90), landholder (webpage)
MURPHY, Isabella (1841-1910) was born in Liverpool, England, September 1841, the middle daughter of Eliza Green (1815-) and Edward Davies (1810-1879). She came to Australia as a 12 year old, with her parents and two sisters, Mary Ellen and Elizah, on the ‘Agricola’ in 1853. They spent some time in Brisbane and Ipswich, then moved to the Drayton Area. This move took them 4 weeks by bullock dray. At the age of 16, she married Peter Murphy on 20 May 1858, at Drayton. They opened soft drink Manufacturing Businesses in Toowoomba and Dalby. In 1871, Peter died suddenly at the age of 38 after 13 years of marriage. She was left a widow at the age of 29, mother of six children under 10, and pregnant with her 7th child. She continued on with the business, opening factories at various times in Rockhampton, Maryborough and Bundaberg, which several of her sons later managed. Following the sale of these factories she relocated to Brisbane around 1893, and lived in Jane St., West End until her death. She passed away in 1910, aged 68, from a cerebral haemorrhage. Her daughter Eliza Murphy (1861-1929) is also buried in the same grave, but there is no headstone marking this. (Thanks to Anne Dewar [great-granddaughter] for this information).
Share Your Story Here!
Do you have a relative or friend who you would like to see included in the Cemetery Residents- M page? We’d love to hear from you. Just send us their story via email, text or word document and we will format it for inclusion here (if it is relevant).We are interested in getting the stories of ‘ordinary’ people who have little-to-no presence in the history books. They do not need to have lived incredibly dramatic lives.
Please try and keep your submission within a 500 word limit per person. This is best achieved by not including too many dates or minor details of a person’s life. Images are welcome (maximum two per person).