- This event has passed.
Graveyard Folklore Open Day!
31 October, 2021 @ 10:30 am - 5:00 pmFree
The end of October and the start of November has historically been a special time for the remembrance of the departed, with different cultural festivals such as Samhain, Día de Muertos, Hallowe’en and All Hallows’ Day all taking place as the veil between this world and the next is opened. This year, the Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery will be hosting a special ‘Graveyard Folklore Open Day’ in the cemetery, with free activities such as:
• Public history talk about folklore
• Children’s Symbol and Scavenger hunts
• Day of the Dead and faerie craft activities for children
• Merchandise and book stall
• Cemetery and family history info stall
• ‘Explore and Discover stall
• Photographic displays
There will also be:
• A ‘Folklore & Magick’ twilight tour (bookings required price here)
• Sausage sizzle
• Jane’s Café with tea, coffee and nibbles (including special historically seasonal food such as ‘soul cakes’ and ‘death bread’)
You are welcome to bring along chairs or blankets and enjoy a day in this beautiful and historical cemetery.
No ‘horror’ or ‘ghost’ fancy dress will be permitted as this is an operational cemetery with people visiting family graves. Faeries, pixies and elves welcome.
Bookings are required for the ‘Folklore & Magick’ twilight tour. Details and booking advice for this tour will be available soon.
We are a community group and this is a not-for-profit event.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.