The Relocated Graves
There are a few headstones in South Brisbane with dates of death on them that actually predate the 1870 opening of the cemetery. This is due to the relocation of a number of bodies from the older burial ground at Paddington, which closed during the 1870s. The later redevelopment of that earlier cemetery required the removal of many bodies and headstones.
The Paddington Cemeteries Act of 1911 allowed relatives of those buried in that cemetery to reinter the remains of their loved ones elsewhere, at government expense. It was reported that about 45 headstones and the remains of 100 persons were moved to other cemeteries. Several hundred of the unclaimed monuments were removed and stored at a nearby church.
To this day there are still remnants of graves beneath Lang Park stadium, which was built on the spot of the former northern cemetery in 1914.
One of the graves relocated from Paddington to South Brisbane was that of the Reverend Thomas Mowbray (1812-67) (above). Originally from Scotland, he came to be called the 'Father of Presbyterianism in Queensland', and opened the colony’s first Presbyterian Church for public worship in South Brisbane, 1851. He lived at what later became the site of Mowbray Park, East Brisbane (the suburb was originally called ‘Mowbraytown’). He was re-interred at the South Brisbane Cemetery in 1913.