Back to Cemetery Residents A-Z

THEILE, Frederich Otto (online PDF)

Thomson, Ellen (1846-87): Ellen Thompson gained notoriety as the only woman to be hanged in Queensland when she and her lover, John Harrison, were executed at Boggo Road gaol in 1887 for the murder of her husband Billy. She strenuously denied her guilt, and there remains some doubt as to the extent of her role in the crime. Ellen had been born in Ireland in 1846 and arrived in NSW with her family in 1858. Her life in Australia proved to be a hard one. She married early but her first husband died, leaving her a widow with four children. By 1880 she was in the Mossman River area of north Queensland and married to William Thomson. The marriage was not a happy one, and she fell for a young naval deserter (Harrison) who was working in the area in 1886. When her husband was shot to death one night, she and Harrison were convicted of the murder and months later were hanged on the same morning. Her last words, with a Catholic priest standing by her side, were:
"Goodbye everybody; I forgive everybody from the bottom of my heart for anything they have wronged me in this world. I never shot my husband, and I am dying like an angel. Oh, my poor children; take care of my children will you, Father?”
Thornton, William (1817-84): Thornton was born 18 June 1817 in Greenville Co. Cavan, Ireland. He was the first collector of customs in Queensland, and also served as Member of the Legislative Council, a Water Police Magistrate, and a member of the Marine Board.
“When asked what other duties the water police were required to carry out Thornton replied, ‘... keeping order amongst the shipping in the bay, they act as Customs House Officers and search vessels going up and down the river, the Sub-Inspector is a health officer and boards vessels in his capacity as such, and assists the Tide Surveyor in his duty by lending him men in bad weather to go to vessels in the bay as the Tide Surveyor's crew has been reduced to two.’” (History of the Queensland Water Police)
Thornton died at his Kangaroo Point residence in June 1884. Sadly, his grave now lies unmarked as it was a victim of the ‘beautification scheme’.

Thynne, Andrew Joseph (1847-1927): Thynne was born 30 October 1847 at Ennistymon, Clare, Ireland. Andrew and his parents arrived in Queensland in 1864. In 1869 he married Mary Williamina Cairncross, who died in 1918, and in 1922 he married Christina Jane Corrie (nee Macpherson). He was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1882 and remained a member until its abolition in 1922. He was postmaster-general (1894-97), secretary for Agriculture (1896-98), and he helped establish the Queensland Agricultural College at Gatton. He was also president of the City Ambulance Transport brigade, a member of the Boy Scout Association, the Chamber of Agriculture, the Law Association and served as chairman of the Board of Technical Education. Thynne was a founder of the Rifle Association and captained Queensland shooting teams in the intercolonial competitions. He was appointed to the first senate of the University of Queensland in 1910 and was elected vice-chancellor in 1916 and chancellor in 1925. As vice-chancellor, he reaffirmed the position of the original senate that university professors should not be involved in politics. Andrew Thynne died at ‘Thoonbah’, his home in Highgate Hill, on 27 February 1927.

Tullipan, Ronald William (1917-75) was born in Murwillumbah, NSW. His schooling was disrupted by his parent’s 1929 divorce that left him a State ward in St Vincent’s Orphanage, Brisbane. He married 14-year-old Katherine Power in 1937 at St Ita’s Church, Dutton Park, Brisbane. Two of their four daughters died in infancy. Ron enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force in July 1941, but proved to be rebellious and was frequently in trouble. He was posted to Bougainville in 1944 and returned after being wounded in action in May 1945.

Ron taught himself to write, and after divorcing Katherine in 1947 he moved to Sydney and then Cairns, where he worked on the wharves and became involved in union affairs. He had some short stories published and also earned money as a commercial artist. During the 1950s he travelled overseas with his partner, Vi Murray. His first novel, Follow the Sun, based on his waterfront experiences, was published in 1960, and was followed by his autobiographical novels Rear Vision (1961) and March into Morning (1962).

He became president of the Sydney Realist Writers’ Group, and completed his last novel, Daylight Robbery in 1970. Ron returned to Brisbane in 1973, where he where he became vice-president of the Queensland branch of the Artists’ Guild of Australia. He died of a cerebral haemorrhage on 24 November 1975 in Brisbane. A self-portrait (1951) is held by the University of Queensland. He was buried in the cemetery with his two deceased daughters, Patricia (died 1940, age two years) and Helena (died 1943, aged 17 months).

Turley, Joseph Henry Lewis [‘Harry’] (1859-1929) was born in Gloucestershire in 1859, and later became a sailor. He emigrated to Australia in 1887 and found work as a waterside worker in Brisbane, eventually becoming President of the Wharf Laborers' Union. He was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Queensland in 1893 as the Labor member for South Brisbane, and served as Home Secretary in Anderson Dawson's short-lived Labor Government in 1899. He left the Assembly in 1902, and in the following year was elected to the Australian Senate as a Labor Senator for Queensland. Turley was President of the Senate during 1910-13, and remained a Senator until his defeat in 1917. Turley later became a shipping master with the Queensland Harbours and Rivers Department until his sudden death in a Brisbane street in June 1929. Turley Street in Fairfield is named after him.