Ball, William Nicholas Gidley (1849-1921) was from Cornwall in the UK and originally emigrated to New Zealand, but came to Australia where he became involved in the meat industry and eventually became the State Manager for Swifts Meat Processors. He managed the Eagle Farm Abattoirs and then the Brisbane Abattoirs. Eagle Farm Abattoirs was built by his relatives G.C. and Richard Willcocks. William died 9 September 1921. (Thanks to William's great-great-grandson Peter Ball for this information.)
Read the entry for Ernest, George and Harry Baynes in the 'Australian Dictionary of Biography'.
Baynes, William Henry (1833-98) was born in 1833 in England. He moved to Brisbane from Hawthorn, Victoria, in 1859 before heading out to the Barambah station in the Burnett district. William established a butchering and shipping business in South Brisbane in 1861 and made his fortune selling his in-demand beef at premium prices to the Brisbane market. He went on to own 50 Brisbane butcheries, the main meat processing works at Queensport, and his own steamship, the Grazier. He also represented the Burnett electorate in the Legislative Assembly during 1878-83, and was one of the original trustees of the South Brisbane Cemetery.
William also bought large parcels of land in the Bulimba area and planted the thorny crataegus bushes (hawthorn), hence the name of the suburb of Hawthorne. He died of acute meningitis in September 1898 during a business trip to Batavia, Java (now Jakarta, Indonesia), and his body was transported back to Brisbane by steamship.
William and his wife Sarah (1826-1905) (right) had eight children. His three sons Harry (1858-1920), George (1862-1907) and Ernest (1864-1930) continued with the butchering business. Harry served for many years on the Woolloongabba Divisional Board as well as the Belmont and Stephens Shires. George managed the Belmont Plant until 1899. Ernest worked as a drover and jackeroo until he joined the family firm and went on to become president of the R.N.A.
He wandered from his son's (William Theophilus) home, Cooltigue, at South Brisbane on 12 January 1876 and his body was found in the Brisbane River two days later.
Blakeney, William Theophilus (1832-98): The eldest son of Charles Blakeney, William emigrated to NSW from Ireland in 1853. After a brief mercantile career he became a public servant in 1856, and at the government’s request moved to Queensland in 1859 to help form the new public service. He was appointed the first under-sheriff of the new colony in 1861. By 1865 he was the Deputy Registrar-General, and became Queensland’s Registrar-General in 1883. William married Eliza Louisa Carr, and they had five daughters together. The family lived in ‘Cooltigue’, a large house in South Brisbane named after the Blakeney estate back in Ireland. He died in June 1898 after suffering a protracted illness. The house was sold off in 1901, and its former location is today marked by Blakeney Street.
Boge, John Henry (1836-90) was born Johann Hinrich Böge in 1836 in the enclave of Wierenkamp in Holstein, Germany. Son of Johann and Magdalena, he worked on the family farm that was given to his great grandfather Hartig around 1750. He was drafted into the service of the Danish Crown at the age of 23 and was barracked at Kronborg Castle (Elsinore in Shakespeare's play Hamlet) at Helsingør, Denmark. Austria occupied Holstein in 1864 and in May 1866 possibly fearing devastation or conscription, at the age of 30, with young wife Catharina and two year old son Hinrich, he departed the port at Hamburg just one month before the beginning of the Austro-Prussian War. After three months at sea and a journey of over 15,000 miles, the 'Beausite' arrived to Brisbane in August 1866. Of 390 souls, 18 passengers died on the voyage including young Hinrich off the coast of Brazil. Johann and Catharina settled initially at One Mile Swamp (now Wooloongabba) where, in 1868, their son Henry was born. From there the family moved to the locality of German Bridge (present day Holland Park) thus named for the many German immigrants in the area. They lived behind the German Bridge Hotel on Logan Road and Johann likely worked at Glindemann's Highfield dairy, a prominent business in the area. John Henry died at his residence on Logan Road in 1890.
Read the entry for Eleanor Elizabeth Bourne in the 'Australian Dictionary of Biography'.
Bourne, John Sumner Pears (1851-1935), land commissioner. Read the obituary of J Bourne here.
Brown, Selina (1873-90). For many years there has been talk of a ghost that haunts the Plough Inn at South Brisbane. It has been claimed that the ghost that haunts the cellar is that of Selina Brown, a young girl of about 8 years of age who had apparently drowned while playing in the cellar during the flood of 1890. This, however, was not the case. Selina and a man named Morgan were swimming in the yard at the back of the Plough Inn. Her body was recovered and taken to a house in Ernest Street where resuscitation attempts failed. Varying eyewitness reports made way to some confusion whether Morgan had anything to do with her drowning. A subsequent Magisterial Hearing began on 21 April 1890 and concluded on 30 April 1890 - by reports in the Brisbane Courier it appeared that Morgan had been cleared of any wrong doing. Selina was also 16 years old. The 'ghost story' itself has also been debunked as urban myth.
Brown, Gregory Thomas (1938-47) was among the 16 people killed when a Labour Day picnic train, carrying about 500 passengers, crashed near Camp Mountain in May 1947. A further 38 people were injured. It remains Queensland’s worst rail disaster.
The train had been chartered by the Customs and Excise Social Club and was heading to a picnic ground at Closeburn when it came off the rails while travelling too fast on a curve in the track. The youngest victim was nine-year old Gregory Brown, of Annerley. He was buried at South Brisbane Cemetery. Just six months later the neighbouring grave was used for his father John Gervace Brown (1912-47). John was born in Toowoomba and served in World War II.